The majority of Hamilton students interested in nursing will take the prerequisites to apply for an accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program that awards a second bachelor’s degree upon completion of the program. The prerequisite classes vary from school to school, but many accelerated programs require:
- Introductory Biology (1-2 Semesters)
- Bio 101F and Bio 102S (may be taken in any order) or
- Bio 115 (and a second biology course such as Genes and Genomes for schools that require two semesters of biology)
Note: Students who are not planning to major in biology and are taking biology only to satisfy prerequisites will be better served taking Bio 101 and 102, especially for those schools that require two semesters of introductory biology. Students who scored a 4 or 5 on the AP Biology exam and are interested in biochemistry or biology as majors may be able to enroll in the department’s advanced introductory course (Bio 115) with the consent of the professor.
- Anatomy and Physiology (2 Semesters)
- Survey of Human Anatomy (Bio 222S) and
- Vertebrate Physiology (Bio 331F)
Note: At Hamilton, Anatomy is taught separately from Physiology. Be sure to confirm that the above courses will fulfill the requirement for human anatomy and physiology at the schools to which you plan to apply.
- Microbiology (1 Semester)
- Microbiology (Bio 221S)
Notes: Prerequisites include Bio 101 and 102 or Bio 115 as well as Chemistry 120 or 125 and the course is offered every other spring semester. Plan accordingly!
Students who wish to major in biology and study abroad will find it very difficult to fulfill the prehealth requirements along with the requirements necessary for a biology major if they do not take Bio 101 in the first semester of freshman year.
Chemistry (1-2 semesters)
- Principles of Chemistry (Chem 120F) or 125F (for those with a score of 4 or 5 on the AP exam)
- Inorganic and Materials Chemistry (Chem 265S) or Biological Chemistry (Chem 270S) - to complete the general chemistry requirement
Note: Chem 120/125 are offered only in the fall; chem 265/270 are offered only in the spring. Also, one semester of Organic Chemistry may be required at some schools.
Psychology (2 semesters)
- Introductory Psychology (Psych 101)
- Lifespan Development (Psych 350S)
Note: Statistics and Research Methods in Psychology (Psych 201) is a prerequisite for Lifespan Development.
Statistics (1 semester)
- Statistics and Research Methods in Psychology (Psych 201) or
- Statistical Analysis of Data (Math 252F/253S)
Note: If you wish to take Lifespan Development at Hamilton (Psych 350S), it is in your best interest to take Psych 201 as your statistics requirement.
Any writing intensive course in the Literature and Creative Writing department will meet the requirement of schools that require or recommend one semester of English. Writing-intensive courses in other departments such as sociology, anthropology, women's studies, or economics may suffice. Students should check individual schools' requirements and/or contact admission offices directly to inquire. Note that most 100-level courses are open only to first-year students.
- Required by many nursing schools. Not offered at Hamilton. Can be taken online.