Melissa joined in 2019 as the College’s first vice president for communications and marketing, reporting to President David Wippman. She oversees the College’s brand and communications strategy and leads the Communications team, which is responsible for publications, periodicals, media relations, social media, digital communications, visual communications, crisis communications, and community relations.
Communications and Marketing
We support Hamilton College’s mission and strategic plan by:
- Developing and promoting authentic communications about people and programs that reflect the mission and that set Hamilton apart from other liberal arts institutions
- Using sophisticated tactics to support Hamilton’s reputation – with peers, media, prospective students and families, alumni, and the general public – as one of the country’s finest liberal arts institutions
- Designing marketing campaigns that engage audiences to recruit top students and to foster loyalty by students, alumni, faculty, and staff
The following principles guide our work as we advance the interests of the College and help our colleagues achieve communications objectives:
- We believe in the value and efficacy of Hamilton’s liberal arts mission
- We develop overarching, cohesive messages for the College
- We create communications that are authentic, well written, and skillfully designed
- We focus on projects that reflect institutional themes and priorities
- We tell compelling stories about the people and programs that make Hamilton special
- We stay current with emerging trends in communications
- We monitor perceptions of Hamilton in the world
- We track external issues affecting higher education and anticipate their impact on Hamilton
How We Can Help
- Working with the media
- Consulting on new initiatives
- Promoting an event
- Publicizing research and achievements
- Creating a webpage
- Crafting email communications
- Using social media
- Producing a publication
- Scheduling photography
- Using the campus print shop
How You Can Help
- Share a story idea or a photo
- Use #getscrolled on social media
Mike came to Hamilton in 1992. In addition to serving as the College’s primary spokesperson, he manages special projects and provides editorial support for new initiatives. Contact Mike with questions about College policy or general communications issues.
The Editorial team provide concept development, creative direction, writing and editing for a variety of media platforms — from the website to print publications. The teams work with campus colleagues to accommodate each department’s goals.
Vige oversees the media relations operations and focuses on identifying, developing, and placing stories about the College in the national and local media.
Holly generates content for the College’s various communications channels, focusing primarily on the Hamilton news site. She also oversees the work of student writers.
In addition to serving as editor of Hamilton magazine and the Hamilton Headlines enewsletter, Stacey writes and edits key College publications, websites, and news stories. She collaborates with campus colleagues on content and marketing plans, projects, and campaigns.
The Visual Communications Team oversees the visual presentation of Hamilton’s messages by designing compelling electronic and print communications intended to educate and inspire readers and viewers about the College. The team also oversees the College’s photo library and consistent application of the visual identity.
Mark oversees and guides the visual communications of the College. He designs and art directs digital and print communications, consults on other visual identity projects such as signage and photography, and manages the College visual and identity assets, including an extensive photo library.
Vanessa designs digital and print communications. She also provides design support for signage and responds to requests for visual and identity assets for use across campus.
Mona oversees the production and implementation details for College communications projects, ranging from publications to signage to graphic and photo requests. She has many years and a wide range of print and digital expertise.
Dave manages the presentation of content and graphics on the College website and in email communications.
Esena manages the presentation of content and graphics on the College website and in email communications. She contributes technical and design expertise for new initiatives and upgrades to existing sites and navigation.