Administrative Job Opportunities
Assistant Director of Orientation and First Year Programs
Hamilton is one of the nation's top liberal arts colleges. It is independent, highly selective, coeducational and residential. Originally founded in 1793 as the Hamilton-Oneida Academy, Hamilton is today composed of 1,850 diverse and talented students from nearly all of the 50 states and approximately 40 countries. More information can be found at www.hamilton.edu/about.
In 2015, building on the success of the Adirondack Adventure and Outreach Adventure pre-orientation programs, Hamilton will expand new student orientation to include opportunities for all incoming first-year students to participate in a small group adventure experience. Currently, approximately two-thirds of first-year students participate in Adirondack or Outreach Adventure.
Reporting to the Assistant Dean of Students for Residential Life, the Assistant Director of Orientation and First-Year Programs will develop and implement Hamilton’s “Exploration Adventure” orientation module, which will accommodate the remaining one-third of the first-year class. In addition to Exploration Adventure responsibilities, the new position will assume duties related to coordination of the on-campus portion of new student orientation, and manage other activities related to the newly launched (in fall 2014) First-Year Experience program. The addition of this position signifies Hamilton’s commitment to a universal orientation program for all members of the first-year class, and the College’s desire to create a more seamless and enhanced transition to college through the First-Year Experience.
- Planning and development of approximately thirty “Exploration Adventure” trips, including the determination of desirable themes, locations, and accommodations
- Preparation of trips, including investigation of sites and relationship development with hosts
- Coordination of travel and other logistical matters related to the Exploration Adventure trips
- Close collaboration with directors of Adirondack Adventure and Outreach Adventure programs, including the recruitment, selection and training of all trip leaders
- Oversight and management of the on-campus August and January orientation programs
- Coordination of the First-Year Experience Program, including the development and implementation of programming opportunities in all first-year residence halls
- Oversight of specialty first-year housing (e.g. REAL)
- Supervision of four student First-Year Experience Leaders.
- Master’s degree plus 3 to 5 years experience in a higher education setting. Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to develop relationships and posses an aptitude for close collaboration with a variety of constituents across the college
- A commitment to the mission of a residential liberal arts college
- The ability to be a self-starter, with creative problem-solving skills
- Ability and talent for motivating and training student leaders
- Possess a sense of fun coupled with a willingness to work hard
Please review Hamilton's Benefits Summary for more information.
Interested applicants should send a resume, letter of interest and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Hamilton College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and encourages diversity in all areas of the campus community.Posted 05/14/2014