Find a Job
A successful job search begins with a developing a plan. If you are having trouble developing or articulating your plan, come in and meet with a professional counselor.
- What type of job you are looking for (informed by CRE and self-assessment) and
- Where, geographically, you want to do that work.
- Generate a list of organizations in your field of interest and geographic area (CareerSearch and Google Maps are excellent online resource to use for developing a "prospect list").
- Learn everything you can about your industry and the specific companies you are targeting.
- Network with family, friends of family, Hamilton alumni, and other acquaintances. Reach out to people working in the industry and/or city you are focused on.
- Search internet and print resources regularly – but do not rely on them exclusively.
- Apply to opportunities you discover via networking or online.
- Target your resume and cover letter to each specific position.
- Send required materials well in advance of deadlines.
- Contact each organization to confirm receipt of materials and to set up an in-person or phone interview (if appropriate).