The Senior Program
At the core of the Senior Program in biology is the senior project, an intensive two-semester field or laboratory research project carried out in association with a faculty member. The project concludes with a written project and an oral presentation given in the second semester of the senior year. The senior project is an opportunity to synthesize and focus previous coursework. It culminates in an original work of scholarship that provides an in-depth examination of a particular empirical or theoretical issue.
The scope and variety of undergraduate research is indicated by the following examples of student projects in biology:
- Drosophila melanogaster S2 cells: Proliferation, Hypoxia & TβhR Expression
- Effect of Anthocyanins on Learning and Memory in the Madagascar Hissing Cockroach
- Exploration of the Function of Phi Thickening in Five Plants Under Stress.
- Effect of Different Manure Leachate Treatments on Lettuce Growth.
- Effect of Electrode Potential on Nanowire Network Construction in Shewanella oneidensis
- Effects of Sublethal Pesticides on Learning and Memory in Manduca sexta
- Effect of Ship-breaking on the Bacterial Communities of Bangladeshi Beaches
- Prevalence of Ixodes scapularis and Amblyomma americanum in Areas of High or Low Host Activity
- Using the COX-1 Sequence to Sequence the Genome and Analyze the Phylogeny of Cryptocaryon irritans
- eTechnologies for the Objective Assessment of Dietary Intake in Children: A feasibility study
- Enrichment of Desulfobulbaceae Cable Bacteria from the Chemocline of Green Lake (Fayetteville, NY)
- Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria in Utica Crows
- Genetic Characterization of a Sub-Chemocline Microbial Biofilm in Green Lake (Fayetteville, NY)
- Context-Dependent Neophobia in Urban Crows
- Influences of Root System Architecture on Saline-Treated Plants and Soils.
- Investigating the Presence of 5' Cap in the mRNA Transcripts of Ichthyophthirius multifilis (Ich)
- Investigating the Mechanisms by which Vitamin C Influences Growth in Manduca sexta
- Testing Bacterial Growth On Different Chicken Nuggets
- Ecological Pressures in the Community of Lyme Disease
- Relative Toxicity of Copper Herbicides NautiqueTM, CaptainTM and Copper Sulfate to Non-Target Fathead Minnows and Brook Trout
- Effect of Growth Conditions on Production of Extracellular Electron Shuttles in Desulfitobacterium Strains
- Endosymbiotic Bacteria in the Ciliate Protozoan Ichthyophthirius multifiliis