Administrative Job Opportunities
Hamilton is one of the nation's top liberal arts colleges. It is independent, highly selective, coeducational and residential. Originally founded in 1793 as the Hamilton-Oneida Academy, Hamilton is today composed of 1,850 diverse and talented students from nearly all of the 50 states and approximately 40 countries. More information can be found at www.hamilton.edu/about.
A full-time professional member of the Division of Student Life, the Area Director is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive student development program within a residential area that supports the educational goals of the College. Through thoughtful integration of these goals, students are challenged to understand and respect values and lifestyles different from their own, relate meaningfully with one another, develop the capacity to appreciate cultural and aesthetic differences, and to accept responsibility for the consequences of their actions.
The Area Director selects, trains and supervises approximately 30 Resident Advisors (RAs) within 13 to 14 residence halls comprising 850 - 1000 students. The Area Director will:
- Assist with RA training prior to start of fall and spring semesters
- Maintain frequent and individual contact with RAs, including a minimum of two one-on-one meetings with each RA per month.
- Hold at least one Area Meeting per month with their RA staff
- Assist RAs with identifying and achieving personal and job related goals
- Serve as a resource for RAs as they work with individuals and groups in their hall
- Complete one comprehensive evaluation of each RA per year
Utilizing principles of student development, the Area Director will work with RAs, student groups / organizations, and others within the Division of Student Life to promote a program that fosters student and community development. The Area Director will:
- Provide creative direction for RAs to develop educational, social, and community building programs within the residence halls
- Assist RAs with roommate mediation and conflict resolution
- As appropriate, provide individual counseling and referral for students with personal or academic concerns
- Provide direction for communication and interpretation of College policy
- Discuss behavioral concerns with RAs and others and refer them as appropriate to College judicial systems
- Conduct periodic rounds with on-call RAs and ride-alongs with Campus Safety Officers on weekend nights
- Be a visible presence on campus in the residence halls, at RA programming, and in the evenings and over the weekends at various College events
The Area Director will:
- Perform administrative tasks related to occupancy figures, maintenance functions, room inventories, damage reporting and follow-up, and opening and closing of residence halls
- Coordinate RA selection process
- Help the Assistant Dean of Students for Residential Life, Campus Safety, Physical Plant staff, and students ensure that residence hall environments are safe and secure
- Participate in the preparation and implementation of the winter and spring housing lotteries and New Student Orientation
- Assist with the process of assigning residence hall spaces to first-year students
- Participate in the weekly "dean on-call" rotation two times per semester
- Serve as liaison and resource person for students and other administrators
- Complete other duties as assigned
A master's degree in higher education, student personnel, counseling, or related field, plus previous residence hall experience is required. Experience in a liberal arts setting is a plus. Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Salary is competitive, with a superior benefits package. Due to the Area Director's responsibilities, the postion includes a furnished two-bedroom campus apartment, and meal plan participation while classes are in session.
Please review Hamilton's Benefits Summary for more information.
Interested applicants should send a resume, letter of interest and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Hamilton College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and encourages diversity in all areas of the campus community.Posted 04/23/2013