Administrative Job Opportunities
Director, Library Research and Instruction Services
Hamilton is one of the nation's top liberal arts colleges. It is independent, highly selective, coeducational and residential. Originally founded in 1793 as the Hamilton-Oneida Academy, Hamilton is today composed of 1,850 diverse and talented students from nearly all of the 50 states and approximately 40 countries. More information can be found at www.hamilton.edu/about.
As part of the senior leadership team of the Library, the Director of Library Research and Instruction Services provides leadership, planning and direction for research and instruction services for faculty and students and develops strong collaborations within the division of academic affairs. Research and instruction services include information resource evaluation and selection, research skill development and direct assistance to faculty and students with their scholarship and academic achievement. The director works collaboratively with librarians, faculty, students, academic support organizations, institutional committees and regional and national consortia, to assess, enhance and develop services and programs that support the academic program, including digital and open access scholarship, the development of print and electronic collections and the development of information literacy among students. The director represents the Library in local, regional and national settings, keeps abreast of current and emerging trends and implements best practices, assuring that Hamilton’s services are efficient and responsive to the needs of faculty and students. The director supervises five librarians who provide research and instruction services to the College community.
- Sets goals, priorities, policies and procedures for reference and instruction services.
- Works directly with faculty and students and assures team members are fully engaged with faculty and students providing relevant instruction, outreach and support for scholarship.
- Oversees all aspects of research and instruction services, including hiring, supervising, and providing for the professional development of librarians.
Coordinates and facilitates the activities of a team charged with:
- providing library research and instruction services, which includes reference desk service, instruction and collaborative course support, the library liaison program, and collection development;
- promoting library visibility within the campus, and regional/national library communities;
- designing the physical and electronic research environments to enable researchers to find, use and create information.
- Works collaboratively with Information Technology Services and other academic support organizations to advance all forms of scholarship and institutional goals.
- Works collaboratively with others to assure the continued strength of Hamilton’s electronic and print collections.
- Participates in the provision of library services, including reference desk shifts, instruction, the library liaison program, and collection development.
An ALA-accredited Masters degree with demonstrated leadership ability and the potential to be an excellent supervisor are required. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a high energy level and self-confidence and the demonstrated ability to work effectively as both a team member and as a leader are critical to success.
Submit a detailed resume, application letter addressing experience and interest, and the names, phone numbers, email and postal addresses of three references to: David Smallen, Director of the Library, Hamilton College, email@example.com Application materials should be sent electronically. Final consideration of candidates will begin February 1, 2013.
Please review Hamilton's Benefits Summary for more information.
Hamilton College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and encourages diversity in all areas of the campus community.Posted 01/02/2013