Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan FAQ's
For questions about coverage, benefits, enrollment/waiver concerns, and ID cards:
For more information about the vision, dental, and campus fit, discount programs offer through Gallagher:
EyeMed Discount Visions Plan
Insurance claim or claims payment:
How can I find a Preferred Provider?
How can I find a Participating Pharmacy?
More information about Worldwide Assistance Services:
1-800-850-4556 (Toll free from U.S. and Canada)
1-603-898-9159 (Dial Direct or Call collect Worldwide)
What is the cost of the Hamilton College Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan?
- The premium for the annual coverage which will be effective 8/13/16 - 8/12/17 is $1,677.00.
If I choose to waive the student health insurance, do I have to waive the coverage every semester?
No, the waiver must be completed once per academic year to opt out.
You must enter your current valid health insurance information in order to waive the Hamilton College Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan.
What is covered under the Hamilton College Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan?
The plan offers comprehensive benefits that include hospital room and board, inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures, labs and x-rays, chemotherapy and radiation, inpatient and outpatient mental health services, physician office visits, consultant visits, ambulance, emergency care and prescription drugs.
- The plan maximum benefit is $500,000 for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Please refer to the plan brochure available at www.gallagherstudent.com/Hamilton and click on "Brochure and Plan Documents" for complete details about premiums, benefits, limitations, and exclusions.
How do I get my prescriptions filled?
Prescriptions can be filled at a Medco participating pharmacy. To find a list of participating pharmacies near you, please visit www.medco.com
- At designated Medco pharmacies; you will pay a $10 co-pay for a 30-day supply of a generic and a $25 co-pay for a 30-day supply of a brand name drug up to policy maximum.
- Prescriptions are also available through a Mail Service Program. Through the Mail Service Program you will pay the cost of 2 times the co-payment of a 30 day supply for a 90-day supply of your prescription drug. For more information, click on "Pharmacy Program" at www.gallagherstudent.com/Hamilton
What if I have a pre-existing condition, am I covered?
Yes, but only if you were continuously insured through another health insurance plan for the 6 months immediately prior to the effective date of the Hamilton College Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan without a lapse in coverage of more than 63 days.
- If you were not continuously insured or had a lapse in coverage of more than 63 days you will not be covered for any pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition is one for which you sought medical advice, were diagnosed, received care or treatment or were recommended care or treatment during the 6 months prior to the effective date of this plan.
- Once you have been enrolled in this plan for 12 months, your pre-existing condition will be covered as any other condition.
Am I required to to get a referral from my school's Health Services before I seek treatment?
- No a referral is not required with this insurance plan
Do I get an ID card?
- Yes, ID cards are made available online 24-48 hours upon enrollment in the plan. Cards are also mailed to the Thomas Brown Rudd Health Center and are distributed through campus mail to the students. Insurance cards may also be printed per request of the school or the student.
To print an ID card online:
- Log-in using your existing account information.
- Select "Authorize Account" located to the left of your screen under Account Information and enter your Student ID number along with your date of birth.
- Once your account has been authorized, select "Account Home" and click on "Generate ID card".
Does this plan cover me when I am off campus, traveling, or studying abroad?
- Yes, the Hamilton College Student Accident and Sickness Plan covers you during semester breaks, summer vacation, and even if you are traveling or studying abroad. You will be covered for the period for which you paid the premium.
- In addition to being covered for medical treatment and services, you will also be covered for Repatriation of Remains, Emergency Medical Expense Benefit and Travel Assistance Services through On Call International, the 24-hour worldwide assistance service. All services must be arranged for in advance and provided by On Call International, any services not arranged by On Call International will not be considered for payment. When studying or traveling abroad, keep your student health insurance plan identification card with you and take a copy of the brochure for reference.
- When outside of the United Stated, you will likely be asked to pay for your medical care first and then will need to seek reimbursement. Covered Expenses will be reimbursed on a Non-Network basis.
- When you submit claims for reimbursement, you will need to have the itemized bill(s) translated into English and include a letter informing the claims administrator that you are seeking reimbursement for charges previously paid.
- Please insure that your name, ID number, address (to receive your reimbursement check), and the University's name are on the bill.
Can I go to any doctor or hospital?
- Yes. You can go to any provider, however, you can save money by seeing providers that participate with the MultiPlan network because providers participating in this network have agreed to accept a predetermined negotiated amount, or Preferred Allowance as payment for their services.
- To locate a participating provider, go to www.gallagherstudent.com/Hamilton and click on "Find a Doctor" on your home page
What enhancements are available under this plan?
Exclusively from Gallagher, enrolled students have access to the following menu of products at no additional cost. More information is available by visiting www.gallagherstudent.com/Hamilton and clicking on "Plan Enhancements"
Will I be covered under the Hamilton College Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan after I graduate?
Yes, you will be covered under the student health insurance plan until the end of the policy year.
Can I continue coverage after the policy terminates?
No, there is no option to continue coverage after this policy terminates.
Eye Med Discount Vision Plan
This is not an insurance plan.
- Students are automatically enrolled in the EyeMed plan that includes discounts on prescription eyeglasses, contact lenses or even non-prescription sunglasses.
- EyeMed has over 45,000 providers, including LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, JC Penny Optical, and Target Optical.
- Discounts range between 15% to 45% off retail pricing.
- Contact EyeMed at: http://www.enrollwitheyemed.com
Basix Dental Savings
Basix Dental Savings
- Maintaining good health extends to taking care of your teeth, gums, and mouth. The Basix Dental Savings Program provides a wide range of dental services.
- The Dental Savings Program is not dental insurance.
- Basix contracts with dentists that agree to charge a negotiated fee to students covered under your Gallagher Koster plan.
- You must pay for the services received at the time of service to receive the negotiated rate.
- Savings can vary but can be as high as 50% depending upon the type of service received and the contracted dentist providing the service.
- Contracted dentists and their fee schedules are listed on our website at www.gallagherstudent.com/Hamilton
- College health is all about helping students develop healthy habits for a lifetime.
- To support your efforts, CampusFit "digitizes" knowledge from registered dieticians and certified fitness instructors to help teach and reinforce mainstream ideas about diet, nutrition, fitness, and general wellness.