Advent & Holy Week
The four Sundays prior to Christmas Day we mark as a community by reflections written by students, faculty, alums, administrators and friends of Hamilton College. Learn more about Advent reflections.
We also offer two Christmas Services for our community:
- Typically the first Sunday of December at 4 pm in the chapel
- A Christmas tree decorating party in the chapel precedes this event the Thursday before at 5 pm
- Typically the second Sunday of December at 11 pm in the chapel
Easter Celebration & What Comes Before Easter
The countdown to Easter begins with Ash Wednesday, 40 days before Easter Sunday – not counting the Sundays – the period of time called Lent. Beginning the day after Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday), Ash Wednesday initiates the season of Lent, characterized by self-examination, and the spiritual discipline of fasting, or giving up something important to yourself.
Ash Wednesday Services
- Ash Wednesday is a holy day in the Catholic tradition, and we hold a mass at noon in the chapel on that day.
- A Protestant communion service is held at 4 pm on Ash Wednesday in the Meditation Room upstairs in the chapel.
Imposition of ashes is available at both services.
Holy Week begins with Palm Sunday, where palms are distributed in all chapel services.
Get details for Holy Week 2015.