George Lloyd Barton III ’40, who responded to a long-felt religious calling after valorous military service in two wars, was born in Charlottesville, Va., on Sept. 9, 1917. The following year, his parents, George L. Barton, Jr. and the former Joan M. White, moved to Lexington, Va., when his father was appointed to teach at Virginia Military Institute. Young George grew up in Lexington and prepared for college at Virginia Episcopal School in Lynchburg. He entered Hamilton in 1936. As a teenager, he already felt drawn to a career in the ministry, so much so that he was dubbed “the Little Minister” and later “the Deacon” when on the Hill. A member of Delta Kappa Epsilon, he lettered in track and became associate editor of Hamilton Life. An elder of the College Church, he served as president of the Deke house in his senior year. During that year he was accepted as a postulate for High Orders by the Episcopal Diocese of Western New York. He was graduated in 1940.
Because of the military draft and looming war clouds, George Barton decided to postpone his religious training and enlisted instead in the U.S. Army in March 1941. As a private attached to the Third U.S. Cavalry at Fort Myer, Va., he began his first tour of duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery, where he was promoted to corporal of the guard and then sergeant. Sent off to Officer Candidate School at Fort Riley, Kan., he there met Cecilia Holmes Wahl, who was working at the Post Exchange. They were married on March 15, 1942, in nearby Junction City. By that time, the U.S. was involved in World War II.
Commissioned as a second lieutenant and promoted to captain in 1943, George Barton became a company commander at Fort Benning, Ga. Ordered to England with the 101st Airborne Division in early 1944, he landed in France that summer as commander of a service company. He participated in the invasions of Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany, including Operation Market Garden and the Battle of the Bulge. He came under fire while his company was providing ammunition and supplies to the fighting forces.
After the war’s end in 1945, Capt. Barton returned to the States and to civilian life. Brief employment in his wife’s family business, a rock quarry, persuaded him to go back into uniform and apply for a Regular Army commission. He was planning to leave military service for seminary training in 1950 when the Korean War broke out. Ordered to Japan and then Korea in 1951 as a Transportation Corps officer, he had been promoted to major and appointed battalion executive officer with the 32nd Infantry Regiment. Soon, as a “tough as nails” commander of the 2nd Battalion, 32nd Infantry, he led the attack on Chinese forces at Heartbreak Ridge.
Promoted to lieutenant colonel and awarded the Silver Star and two Bronze Stars, adding to the two already received from World War II, George Barton was formally transferred from the Transportation Corps to the Infantry. His final tour of duty, after the Korean War ended in 1953, was in Germany. In 1955, he resigned his Army commission and followed through on his long-delayed plans to enter the ministry. He had been ordained an Episcopal deacon in 1953. While serving as chaplain of the Virginia Episcopal School, where his father was headmaster, he was ordained to the priesthood in 1957 and appointed rector of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Bedford, Va. Concurrently serving as assistant headmaster and chaplain of Woodbury Forest School, he also coached football and track.
The Rev. George L. Barton III was rector of St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Orange, Va., from 1971 until his retirement in 1984. However, he continued as a supply minister and volunteer chaplain. In 1988, he and Cecilia moved to a retirement community in Irvington, Va. He was still residing there when he died on Jan. 3, 2014, at the age of 96. Predeceased by his wife of 68 years, he is survived by a daughter, Cecilia Q. Barton; a son, David M. Barton; and grandchildren. His elder son, George L. Barton IV, had also predeceased him.
Return to Top
John Henry Giffin ’40, a retired sales representative and office manager, was born on Aug. 31, 1917, in Rutherford, N.J. His parents were John F., a sales manager, and Ethel Williams Giffin, a nurse. Johnny Giffin grew up in Westfield, N.J., and prepared for college at the Taft School in Connecticut. Having enrolled at Hamilton in 1936, he joined Alpha Delta Phi and played varsity hockey as well as golf. He captained the golf team in his junior year. At the end of that year, lack of funds compelled his withdrawal from the College. He returned to New Jersey and found employment as a messenger and office boy with Chase Brass & Copper Co. in Newark.
John Giffin was a salesman and assistant office manager when he left Chase in 1943 to enlist in the U.S. Army in the midst of World War II. As part of a training cadre, he helped train infantry troops in Northern Ireland, England and France. While in England in 1944, he met Margaret Fearn of Derby. Three years later, on March 8, 1947, they were married in Orange, N.J.
Following his discharge from the Army in 1946, after the war’s end, John Giffin returned to selling copper, brass and aluminum for Chase and became the company’s office manager. In 1959 he went to work for Bridgeport Brass Co., also in sales and as office manager. After that company was bought by Vincent Brass & Aluminum in 1965, he continued in its employ in Union, N.J., until his retirement in 1982.
In retirement, John Giffin found additional time for gardening and especially golf, which he played as often as possible, breaking 80 on most local courses. He continued to play regularly into his 95th year. In addition, with his wife, he would spend a month each year visiting her family in England. In Westfield, N.J., where he had long resided, he enjoyed the comradery of the Westfield Old Guard, an organization of retired businessmen who met once a week for a program of talks on various topics, often related to current events. He impressed them, as well as his golfing buddies, with his uncanny memory and his remarkable talent for story-telling.
John H. Giffin, a faithful alumnus, died at his home in Westfield on Oct. 25, 2012, at age 95, as the College has belatedly learned. Predeceased by his wife of 65 years, he was survived by five children, John, Marian, Elizabeth, Philip and Vivian. Also surviving were 11 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
Robert Hubbard Heidner ’40, M.A. ’42, an industrial chemist, was born on March 14, 1919, in Holyoke, Mass. The eldest of four children of Raymond F. Heidner, Class of 1913, a music store proprietor, and the former Ruth Hubbard, he grew up in Holyoke and prepared for college at Northwood School in Lake Placid, N.Y. In 1936, Bob Heidner, also known as “Hub,” came to Hamilton and joined his father’s fraternity, Sigma Phi. He became a member of the soccer and ski teams, and excelled in track, especially in the broad jump. In addition, he played clarinet for four years in the band. Hiding “his wisdom behind quiet smiles and sealed lips,” according to The Hamiltonian, he was studious, earning the Norton Foundation Prize in Chemistry and the Soper Essay Prize for a paper on economics. He received his B.S. degree with honors in chemistry and economics in 1940. Thereafter he remained on the Hill for two years, serving as a graduate assistant and pursuing an M.A. in the chemistry department.
Awarded the M.A. in 1942, Bob Heidner began his long career as a research chemist with Monsanto Chemical Co. at its central research department in Dayton, Ohio (1942-45). He was subsequently transferred as group leader and later supervisor to the company’s various research and developmental facilities as well as those of its subsidiaries. They included the plastics division labs in Springfield, Mass. (1945-52), Chemstrand Labs at Decatur, Ala. (1952-60), and Chemstrand Research Center at Triangle Park, N.C. (1960-78). He was supervisor of central laboratory standards at Monsanto Technical Center in Pensacola, Fla., when he retired after 40 years with the company in 1982. A specialist in analytical chemistry, he was the author of several technical papers and the chapter on analysis of acrylic and modacrylic fibers in the Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemical Analysis. He was also involved in the development of nylon and synthetic rubber during his long career.
After his retirement, Bob Heidner continued to reside in Florida, where he obtained a real estate broker’s license and sold condominiums in Pensacola Beach. Fond of being near the water ever since his boyhood summers on Quabbin Lake in Massachusetts, he particularly enjoyed walking on Florida’s beaches as well as sailing off them. Devoted to his family, he encouraged his three daughters to excel in anything they chose to do and served as a splendid role model for them.
Married on July 29, 1944, to Ernestine Adams in Dayton, Ohio, Robert H. Heidner was left a widower after her death in 2001. He was residing in Tampa, Fla., when he died on Dec. 18, 2013, at the age of 94. He leaves his daughters, Karen Ward, Sue Shelley and Cynthia Elcan, and five grandchildren and two sisters. The family has suggested contributions to Hamilton in his memory.
Return to Top
David Ryland Tomlinson ’40, a physician and lifelong resident of Troy, N.Y., where he practiced obstetrics and gynecology for 38 years, was born in Troy on June 21, 1918. A son of David A. Tomlinson, engaged in real estate, and the former Agnes Ryland, a teacher, Dave Tomlinson came to Hamilton in 1936, following his graduation from Lansingburgh High School in Troy. He joined Psi Upsilon, ran track and managed the fencing squad in his senior year. He also became managing editor of The Hamiltonian and was elected to the journalism honor society Pi Delta Epsilon. Having pursued a premedical course of study, he was awarded his B.S. degree in 1940.
Dave Tomlinson went to New York City, enrolled at Cornell Medical College and obtained his M.D. degree in 1943. While serving his internship at Meadow Brook Hospital in Hempstead, Long Island, he met Ruth E. Smith, a dietician at the hospital. On March 31, 1945, she and Lt. Tomlinson, by then on active duty with the U.S. Army Medical Corps, were married in Stockbridge, Mass. After stationing at O’Reilly General Hospital in Springfield, Mo., and for seven months at a hospital in occupied Vienna, Austria, he was discharged from the Army as a captain following World War II’s end.
By 1946, after training in obstetrics and gynecology at Harvard Medical College, Dr. Tomlinson returned to Troy and there established his practice. He became president of the medical staff at Samaritan Hospital, where he had been born, and also chaired its obstetrics and gynecology department. In addition, he served on the hospital’s board and chaired the board of its School of Nursing. His dedication, leadership and support contributed greatly to the development of Samaritan Hospital’s Family Birth Center, and in 2000 he was the first to receive the Northeast Health Founder’s Award in recognition of his contributions to Samaritan Hospital’s advancement.
Dr. Tomlinson, a past president of the Rensselaer County Medical Society, retired from his practice in 1984. One of the first physicians in the county to use hypnosis in baby delivery, he helped usher thousands of infants into the world during his medical career. Active within community organizations as well, he was a former vice president of the Troy Chamber of Commerce and past president of the Country Club of Troy. At one time on the boards of the Troy United Way and the Salvation Army, he also was a vestry member of St. John’s Episcopal Church.
In retirement, Dave Tomlinson and his wife, Ruth, spent the winter months in Ft. Pierce, Fla. Over the years, they also cultivated orchids and traveled extensively, including four trips to the Amazon in search of new varieties. Dave, a co-founder of the Northeast New York Orchid Society, never ceased to find raising orchids fascinating, challenging and relaxing.
Long ill, David R. Tomlinson, an ever faithful Hamiltonian, died in Troy on Nov. 22, 2013, at age 95. Predeceased by his wife the previous January, he is survived by four daughters, Faith Tomlinson, Pamela Ernest, Lynn Candella and Dale Ernest, and eight grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Return to Top
Charles Laurence Allen ’42, an insurance investigator who, in his 60th year, became a chiropractic physician, was born on Nov. 18, 1921, in Detroit. A son of Percy M. Allen, Class of 1911, a sales manager, and the former Catherine D. Savage, he grew up in Port Huron, Mich., was graduated from Assumption College High School in Windsor, Ontario, and came to Hamilton in 1938. He followed his father and two brothers, Robert and Richard, to the Hill. Larry Allen joined their fraternity, Sigma Phi, where he achieved recognition as “the foremost prankster in the house.” A member of the varsity fencing team as well as the Newman Club for four years, and “always on his toes with a fast pun and the latest popular tune,” he was graduated in 1942.
After a series of jobs with various manufacturing companies during and after World War II, Larry Allen was employed for 28 years as a claims director, investigating insurance claims for Retail Credit Co. (later Equifax Services, Inc.) in Saginaw, Mich., beginning in 1949. In 1977, after retiring from that post, he decided to embark upon an entirely new career and began studies at the National College of Chiropractic in Lombard, Ill. He acquired his Doctor of Chiropractic degree in 1981. Aided by his wife, the former Harriette E. “Ginger” O’Donnell, whom he had wed on May 17, 1947, in Port Huron, he established his practice in St. Clair, Mich. During the late 1980s he practiced in Illinois and Florida before moving back to Michigan to be near his children and grandchildren. He continued to practice in various locales in that state until his retirement in 2000.
While residing in Saginaw, Larry Allen served as president of the PTA as well as the school board of Saint Mary’s School. He was later president of the parish council at St. Mary’s Church in St. Clair. Ever devout in his Catholic faith, he ardently participated during his final years in the Sacred Heart Association Chapel. Throughout his life he was also devoted to music and especially barbershop singing.
C. Laurence Allen was residing in St. Joseph, Mich., when he died on March 20, 2014, at the age of 92. He is survived by his wife of almost 67 years. Also surviving are two daughters, Kathleen Girard and Maureen Luxem; a son, Charles L. Allen, Jr.; 10 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren; and his brother, Richard S. Allen ’39. His brother Robert J. Allen ’37 predeceased him in 2004.
Return to Top
Louis (Luigi) Pasquale Cizza ’42, a high school and college science teacher who promoted pride in their heritage among his fellow Italian-Americans, was born on April 4, 1920, in Utica, N.Y., where he would reside throughout his long life. The only son of Giovanni B. Cizza, a mason, and the former Antoinette Coppola, he was educated by priests and nuns in local Catholic schools and came up to College Hill on scholarship from Saint Francis de Sales High School, where he had been valedictorian of his class. He was one of many poor but talented immigrant sons who received their higher education at Hamilton and remained in their hometown of Utica to serve the community as lawyers, physicians, and teachers. Luigi, known on the Hill as “Louis” or “Lou,” commuted from his home until his senior year, when he took up residence in North Dorm. A member of Squires and noted for his “unruffled calm,” he was graduated in 1942.
Inducted into military service the following year, Luigi Cizza served in the U.S. Army as a cryptographer through the end of World War II and saw combat in Germany and Austria. He returned to the United States in 1946, “glad to see the Statue of Liberty once again.” He began his career in education teaching science at Utica Free Academy. On June 30, 1951, he and Dolores Dieglio were married in their hometown.
Luigi Cizza, who became head of the science department at Utica Free Academy, added to his teaching credentials by earning a B.A. in physics from Utica College of Syracuse University as well as an M.S. in the sciences from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1961. He continued to teach physics at the academy until his retirement after 38 years in 1985. The recipient of National Science Foundation grants, he had also been an adjunct professor of physics at Utica College, where he later served as adjunct professor of Italian as well.
In 1991, Luigi and Dolores Cizza became “disc jockeys” as hosts of a weekly Italian--language radio show, Ricordi Italiani. It was a program of Italian music of yesteryear, broadcast on Sundays from their Utica home, and it gained such popularity that the Cizzas were asked to produce a similar radio program for the Albany, N.Y., area. In 1996, in recognition of efforts to foster “appreciation and respect for Italian music and Italian heritage” within the Italian-American community, Louis Cizza was presented with the Positive Image Award by the Order of the Sons of Italy in America.
Louis P. Cizza was still residing in Utica when he died on Nov. 20, 2013, at the age of 93. Besides his wife of 62 years, he is survived by a son, John A. Cizza; a daughter, Mary Grace Ruth; and a grandson.
Return to Top
Frederick Ming Kai Lam ’45, a physician, surgeon and pioneer in the field of bioenergetic medicine, was born on May 9, 1923, in Honolulu, Hawaii. His parents were Frederick Kwai Lam, also a physician and surgeon who had been educated in the United States, and Ah Chin Loo Lam, a school teacher. He was a nephew of Hin Cheung Chan ’29. Young Fred Lam grew up in Honolulu, where he was graduated in 1941 from Punahou School. He enrolled at Hamilton that fall, became a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon and went out for soccer, in which he lettered. Having concentrated in premedical studies, he left College Hill in the fall of 1943 to enter St. Louis University School of Medicine, where his father had earned his M.D. degree. By the time Fred Lam had left Hamilton, it was in the midst of World War II and the student population had dwindled to a handful. Upon application, he was awarded his A.B. degree years later, in 1962.
While in medical school, Fred Lam enlisted in the U.S. Army, which underwrote his professional training. He was awarded his M.D. degree in 1947, and on August 14 of that year he was married in Honolulu to Marie Claire Link, a nurse. In 1949, after serving his internship and residency in family practice at Queens Medical Center in Honolulu, he became a partner with his father in the Lam Clinic in that city. Called back by the Army in 1954 to serve for two years as a captain in the Medical Corps, he subsequently did a year of post-graduate training in psychosomatic medicine as a fellow in psychiatry at the University of Maryland. There-after he returned to Honolulu and resumed his practice.
By the 1970s, Dr. Lam, a charter fellow of the American Academy of Family Practice and a diplomate of the American Board of Family Practice, began to take a keen interest in bioenergetic medicine, especially acupuncture and electro-acupuncture. One of the first physicians in Hawaii to undergo acupuncture training in Taiwan, he also studied in Germany with Dr. Reinhold Voll, the physician who created the electro-dermal screening test, which Dr. Lam would use in his own practice for over 30 years. He was also the author of numerous research papers on that testing and lectured at seminars on bioenergetic medicine in the United States and Taiwan.
Dr. Lam, former president of the American Association of Acupuncture and Bio-energetic Medicine, was the founder and vice president of the Foundation for East-West Medicine at the University of Hawaii as well as a past president of the Chinese Acupuncture Research Foundation. Since his certification as an acupuncturist in 1974, he employed bioenergetic medicine in his practice to treat the cause, not just the symptoms, while diagnosing diseases. He maintained his practice until virtually the end of his long life.
Beyond medicine, Fred Lam had many interests and hobbies. He was well known in Hawaii as a ham-radio operator. A past president of the Honolulu Amateur Radio Club, he also trained Welsh corgis and was a former president of the Obedience Dog Training Club of Hawaii. In addition, he was fond of a game of golf and knew his way around a ballroom floor as an accomplished dancer.
Frederick M. K. Lam, a faithfully loyal and supportive alumnus, died on Nov. 8, 2013, at his home in Honolulu at the age of 90. Predeceased by his wife of 65 years and a daughter, Devona Weirich, he is survived by a son, Frederick Guy Lam; two daughters, Constance M. Clapp and Brenda Gee Lam; and five grandchildren, five great-grandchildren and a sister.
Return to Top
Elliott Nelson Baldwin, Jr. ’46, who established his own accounting practice after a varied career in business, was born on Jan. 3, 1925, in Auburn, N.Y. His parents were Elliott N., a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army, and Marjorie Mundy Baldwin. Young Elliott grew up in Auburn, where he was graduated in 1942 from East High School. That fall he enrolled at Hamilton, where his father would become commanding officer of the Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) on campus during World War II. Known on the Hill as “Baldy,” he joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, went out for swimming and sang in the Choir during his freshman year.
At the end of that year, Elliott Baldwin withdrew from the College to go on active duty with the U.S. Navy. He participated in the Navy’s V-12 Program at Colgate University, followed by Midshipmen’s School at Northwestern University. Stationed for six months in the South Pacific, he was in Tokyo Harbor as a quartermaster on the U.S.S. South Dakota, anchored next to the U.S.S. Missouri, when the Japanese surrender was signed aboard that battleship. The journal he kept as a witness to that event is now deposited with the Missouri Association in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Discharged from the Navy in 1945, Elliott Baldwin returned to College Hill in the summer of 1946 to resume his studies. He rejoined the Choir and, according to The Hamiltonian, helped “spark the festivities” at the Deke house with his “dulcet tenor.” He was awarded his A.B. degree in 1948. His highly varied career followed, beginning with department store trainee and buyer. Briefly a newspaper reporter, he was a staff assistant in sales in Pittsburgh and later district office manager in Cambridge, Mass., for H.J. Heinz, the food products company. After settling in Massachusetts, he turned to finance and accounting, becoming controller of a small company. While residing in Framingham, he established his own accounting business.
An active member of the Plymouth Congregational Church in Framingham, Elliott Baldwin served it as deacon and assistant treasurer. Although he continued to do income tax preparation for clients, he shifted his interest in later life to family. With his wife, the former Nancy Gould, whom he had wed on Feb. 3, 1951, in Johnstown, Pa., he enjoyed a bit of travel as well as “learning new conventions in bridge.”
Elliott N. Baldwin, Jr. died at his home in Framingham on Nov. 25, 2013. In addition to his wife of 62 years, he is survived by a son, Elliott N. Baldwin III, and six grandchildren and a great-grandson. He was predeceased by a daughter, Anne Baia.
Return to Top
Alexander MacDonald Lankler ’48, a lawyer, property developer and philanthropist, once highly active in Republican Party politics, was born on June 30, 1928, in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. A son of the Rev. Ralph C. Lankler and the former Helen MacDonald, he was a nephew of John H. ’35 and George P. Bates ’36. “Sandy” Lankler grew up in Cortland, N.Y., where his father was minister of the First Presbyterian Church. Already as a high school senior, he became engaged in politics and helped organize Young Republican Clubs throughout the East and Midwest. The founder and first president of the Young Repub-lican Clubs of America as a teenager, he enrolled at Hamilton in the summer of 1945, following his graduation from Cortland High School. He joined Sigma Phi, did his part to elevate College spirit as a cheerleader and chaired the Winter Carnival Committee in his senior year. He evinced the highly dynamic and magnetic personality that would characterize him the rest of his life.
Having accelerated his course of study by attending summer sessions, Sandy Lankler was graduated in 1948. That year he entered Cornell University Law School and also became president of the Junior Republicans of America and director of youth activities for the Republican National Committee. He was also a page at the Republican National Convention that nominated New York Governor Thomas E. Dewey to undertake his second run for the presidency. As a second-year law student, Sandy organized, under state Republican auspices, what was billed as the nation’s first School of Politics. Held on Hamilton’s campus in August 1949, its 168 delegates were addressed by leading state office holders, and its sessions were broadcast nationally over CBS radio. A second School of Politics under Sandy’s direction was held at Hamilton in July 1950.
After receiving his LL.B. degree from Cornell in 1951, Sandy Lankler went on active duty with the U.S. Coast Guard and served for two years during that Korean War era. On Oct. 13, 1951, Ensign Lankler and Celeste B. Skeen were married in Greenwich, Conn. Released from active duty as a lieutenant (j.g.), Sandy became associated with and later was a partner in the law firm of Chapman, Walsh & O’Connell in Washington, D.C. During those years he also served as an assistant to Governor Dewey and personal assistant to U.S. Senator Irving Ives ’19. He subsequently served as a special assistant in the Treasury Department and in the General Services Administration, which awarded him its Distinguished Service Medal in 1959.
That year, Sandy Lankler became a partner in the law firm of Hawkins, Delafield & Wood, also in Washington. Three years later, he established his private practice in the nation’s capital, which often involved lobbying for his clients. During the 1960s he was deputy manager of New York Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller’s national campaign for the presidency and chaired the Maryland State Republican Committee. A resident of Potomac, Md., he was a founder of the Potomac United Presbyterian Church.
By 1988, Sandy Lankler had discontinued his law practice and moved to Florida. There, as an entrepreneur, he established and developed various businesses, among them the New York Times Restaurant, Inn and Conference Center in Bal Harbor, which he owned and operated for a time. He also became an investor in the Palm Restaurant, a favorite gathering place for politicians in Washington, as well as another Palm Restaurant, in Miami Beach. His other enterprises included the Bay Harbor Inn, also in Florida. He later moved from Bal Harbor, where he had been president of the board of the Church by the Sea, to Jupiter, Fla. There he became a staunch supporter of Friends of Jupiter Beach, a volunteer organization pledged to keep the beach clean and dog-friendly.
Sandy Lankler’s first marriage of 42 years to Celeste Skeen had ended with her death in 1993. The following year, he was wed to Anita Andreasen, who also predeceased him in 2003. At the time of his death, at his home in Jupiter, on Dec. 12, 2013, he was married to Sara Ashworth. In recent years, he and Sara began the Renewal Coalition, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and assisting wounded veterans and their families in making the transition from military to civilian life.
In addition to his wife, Alexander M. Lankler is survived by two daughters from his first marriage, Melissa M. Lankler and Lesley L. Dangerfield, and two granddaughters and a brother.
Return to Top
Edward Clinton Everett ’49, a longtime traffic manager for the National Biscuit Co. (now Nabisco Brands, Inc.), was born on Feb. 20, 1927, in Bronxville, N.Y. His parents were Edward W. Everett, a civil engineer who had worked on the construction of Grand Central Station, and the former Elizabeth Jane Bloomer. Ed Everett grew up in Yonkers, N.Y., where he was graduated from Roosevelt High School. He arrived on College Hill in 1945, became active in the Camera Club and contributed to Hamiltonews. He also won the McKinney Prize Speaking Contest in his junior year.
A year after Ed Everett’s graduation in 1949, the Korean conflict broke out. He went on active duty with the U.S. Army and served with the 43rd Division in Germany. Released as a sergeant after two years in 1952, he began his career with Nabisco as a traffic clerk in New York City. After acquiring an M.B.A. degree from New York University’s Graduate School of Business Administration in 1960, he was promoted to traffic analyst.
On June 6, 1964, Ed Everett was married to Winifred I. Wass in White Plains, N.Y. When Nabisco moved its headquarters from New York City to East Hanover, N.J., in 1975, Ed and his family moved from Riverside, Conn., to Bernardsville in the Garden State. Specializing in traffic management, he held various positions in distribution and transportation until his retirement after 35 years with Nabisco in 1988.
The following year, Ed and Winnie relocated to Cape Cod and took up residence in Chatham. In retirement, Ed, who had formerly been active in the Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church in New Jersey and participated in youth programs such as the Cub Scouts when his children were growing up, found additional time for a variety of volunteer activities. He became a tour guide for the National Park Service, first at the National Historic Park in Morristown, N.J., where General Washington had his headquarters during the Revolutionary War, and subsequently at the Visitor’s Center of the Cape Cod National Seashore. He acted as a docent for the National Park Service for over 20 years, which gave him the pleasure of sharing his love and extensive knowledge of American history.
Ed Everett, head deacon and historian of the First Congregational Church of Chatham, also had a passion for trains, and he became an active member of the Chatham Railroad Museum Committee. In addition, he adored music, “the finest of dark chocolate” and “a dry gin martini with olives.” Ed, who planned and organized extensive annual family vacation trips throughout the U.S. to historically significant places when his children were young, took to European vacations as well as cruises, and participated in many Elderhostel programs with Winnie in retirement. Known for always having “a twinkle in his eye and a smile for everyone he met,” he was devoted to his family and friends.
Edward C. Everett, also ardently devoted to and loyally supportive of Hamilton, died in Chatham on Dec. 20, 2013. Predeceased last June by his wife of 49 years, he is survived by a son, John C. Everett; a daughter, Martha L. Everett; a sister, Jane Haslun; and nieces and nephews, including William I. Haslun II ’81.
Return to Top
Allan Raymond Law ’49, an obstetrician and gynecologist who had long practiced in Rochester, N.Y., grew up in Binghamton, N.Y., where he was born on Oct. 8, 1923. The son of William A., a carpenter and contractor, and Elizabeth MacKenzie Law, he was graduated in 1941 from Binghamton Central High School. The following year he entered the U.S. Army Air Corps and served as a pilot through the end of World War II. Discharged as a first lieutenant in 1946, he arrived on College Hill that fall. Allan Law, known as “Scott,” joined Delta Kappa Epsilon and went out for basketball. On Dec. 27, 1947, he and Carolyn Moody, daughter of Edwin H. Moody, Class of 1902, were married, and the newlyweds took up residence in the North Village.
Following his graduation in 1949, Scott Law enrolled in medical school at the University of Pennsylvania, where he acquired his M.D. degree in 1953. He served his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester while also serving on the medical faculty and earning an M.S. in medicine at the University of Rochester in 1955. He subsequently established his private practice in that city. Active in the Brighton Rotary Club, of which he became president, and a deacon of the Twelve Corners Presbyterian Church, he also served as a director of the Rochester Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.
Throughout his professional career, Scott Law generously devoted his time and energy to many civic and charitable organizations as a volunteer. In 1992, in recognition of his extraordinary contributions to the furtherance of his community’s welfare, he was named Citizen of the Year by the Brighton Rotary Club. To his patients, medical students and colleagues, he was known as a conscientiously devoted physician who had enriched the lives of many with “his gentlemanly and caring manner, keen sense of humor and selfless dedication to the well being of others.”
Dr. Law, who had ended his practice of obstetrics and gynecology in 1988, continued to be engaged professionally as medical director of a Rochester nursing home until his retirement in 2000. The following year, one of his last volunteer efforts, under Rotary International auspices, was to help establish a blood donor program and promote sanitation in slum villages in northeast India.
Allan R. Law, an ever faithful and supportive alumnus who considered his years at Hamilton to be among the happiest of his life, died on Nov. 16, 2013, at the age of 90. Predeceased by his wife in 1988, his is survived by two daughters, Nancy Beuscher and Susan Aldridge; a son, Donald M. Law; and nine grandchildren.
Return to Top